[The following note describes a series of company records and has no images attached to it. To view the images in the records described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
The Edison Phonograph Works (EPW), incorporated on May 3, 1888, held the manufacturing rights for Edison's phonograph. Edison was the company's founding president and majority stockholder. During the 1890s the EPW operated a factory in Orange, New Jersey, at which it manufactured phonographs and cylinders for the North American Phonograph Co., the National Phonograph Co., and the International Graphophone Co. It also produced machines for the Bates Manufacturing Co. and electrical devices for the Edison Manufacturing Works. In 1914 several of its buidings were destroyed by fire and subsequently rebuilt. In 1924 the company became part of Thomas A. Edison, Inc. The records cover the period 1888-1916 and consist of minutes and financial materials. A finding aid is available at the Edison National Historical Park.
The minute book and most of the financial records for the period 1888-1898 have been selected. Among the items not selected are cash books (1888-1898), stock transfers (1888-1911), and a bank book (PN-89-07-08). Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.