[The following note describes a series of company records and has no document records attached to it. To see the document records in the volumes and folders described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
The Edison Phonograph Works was incorporated on May 3, 1888, and held the manufacturing rights to Edison's phonograph. Edison was the founding president and majority stockholder. The company operated a factory in West Orange for the manufacture of phonographs and phonograph records, as well as Bates numbering machines and other Edison products. Its products were distributed through sales companies, including the North American Phonograph Co. during the 1890s, the National Phonograph Co. during the 1900s, and Thomas A. Edison, Inc., after 1910. Several of its buildings were destroyed by fire in December 1914 and subsequently rebuilt. In 1924 the company became part of Thomas A. Edison, Inc. The records cover the years 1888-1916. Related material can be found in the Document File Series. The minute book, along with financial documents and other items for the period 1888-1898, can be found in Thomas A. Edison Papers, Part III (1887-1898). A finding aid for the archival record group is available at the Edison National Historical Park.
The selected records are arranged in the following order: (1) Ledger (1907-1916); Journals (1901-1917); and (3) Profit and Loss Statements (1899-1911). Among the records not selected is a binder of shop notices indicating changes in part numbers for phonographs, motion picture apparatus, Bates numbering machines, and other products manufactured at the Works. Also not selected are two investment ledgers listing real estate and machinery accounts (1894-1913); five cash books (1898-1911); and a small folder of stock transfer receipts and routine memoranda.