[The following note describes a series of company records and has no images attached to it. To view the images in the records described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
The Edison Electric Light Co. was incorporated in New York on November 15, 1878. It provided financial support for Edison's electric light experiments in return for control of the resulting patents. The company merged with several other Edison companies in 1889 to become the Edison General Electric Co. The records cover the period 1880-1893. A finding aid is available at the Edison National Historical Park.
The two selected items contain data pertaining to central stations. A set of company bulletins (1885-1886) can be found in Thomas A. Edison Papers, Part II (1879-1886).
Among the unselected documents is a scrapbook (1887-1888, 1894) containing diagrams, technical data, and printed material from the Edison Municipal System. Its first page contains the inscription: "Compliments General Electric by F. R. Upton, June 1894." Another scrapbook (1891-1893) contains blueprints, photographs, cyanotypes, and other material dealing mainly with electric light signs, displays, and apparatus, along with drawings and papers regarding gas engines and telephones. The blueprints are from the Decorative and Miniature Lamp Division; at least one cyanotype is by the Mathew Brady Studio. The book also contains images of electric light advertising at Madison Square in New York City and an image of the White House. Also not selected are duplicate copies of patent applications (1880); a postage account book from the Shafting Department (1890-1891); and a foreman's handbook (1891). Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.