[The following note describes a series of company records and has no images attached to it. To view the images in the records described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
Begun in December 1889 as Edison's personal business and incorporated in May 1900, the Edison Manufacturing Co. was originally organized to manufacture and market the Edison-Lalande primary battery. During the 1890s it manufactured and sold batteries for telegraph, phonoplex, and telephone systems, as well as batteries for use with phonographs, dental and medical instruments, and other machinery. The company also produced wax for phonograph cylinders; electrical devices including medical instruments, fan motors, and kinetoscopes; motion picture film; and x-ray equipment. The company had a factory at Silver Lake (later Bloomfield), New Jersey, a sales office in New York City, and agencies abroad. The records, which cover the period 1889-1904, consist of correspondence and financial materials. A finding aid is available at the Edison National Historical Park. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.