[The following note describes a series of company records and has no document records attached to it. To see the document records in the volumes and folders described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
The New Jersey Patent Co. was incorporated in the State of New Jersey on April 25, 1903. It was concerned primarily with obtaining and holding phonograph-related patents granted to Edison and other experimenters. It also held some securities of Edison and non-Edison companies. In 1906 Edison succeeded one of the incorporators, Louis M. Sanders, as president. In 1911 the company's property rights were transferred to Thomas A. Edison, Inc., in exchange for stock in that corporation. The company was officially dissolved in 1931. The records cover the years 1903-1911, with a small amount of additional material from 1917, 1925, and 1926. They consist of minutes, a letterbook, a general ledger, and a journal. Unbound correspondence regarding the activities of the company can be found in the "New Jersey Patent Company" folders in the Document File Series.
The records are arranged in the following order: (1) minutes (1903-1906); (2) letterbook (1908-1910); (3) ledger (1903-1926); and (4) journal (1903-1926).