[The following note describes a series of company records and has no document records attached to it. To see the document records in the volumes and folders described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
Organized on April 18, 1910, in the State of Maine, the General Film Co. granted licences to exchanges that distributed films produced by the licensed manufacturers of MPPCo. The portion of the company's stockholdings controlled by the Edison Manufacturing Co. was transferred to Thomas A. Edison, Inc., in 1911 and sold in 1917.
The records consist of correspondence and other documents, including financial statements, circulars, agreements, minutes, and clippings. The material pertains to the administration and dissolution of the General Film Co. and to the related interests of the Edison Manufacturing Co. and Thomas A. Edison, Inc. Most of the correspondence is by Frank L. Dyer, vice president of the Edison Manufacturing Co. and later president of Thomas A. Edison, Inc., and by his assistant, George F. Scull. Other Edison company officials who appear as correspondents include Carl H. Wilson, general manager of the Edison Manufacturing Co. and later vice president and general manager of Thomas A. Edison, Inc.; Leonard W. McChesney, manager of the Motion Picture Division; and Horace G. Plimpton, manager of negative production in the Kinetograph Department. Also included is correspondence by Jeremiah J. Kennedy, president of the General Film Co., and his successors, Jacques A. Berst and Benjamin B. Hampton. In addition, there are several letters to or from Edison or bearing his marginalia, as well as memoranda in his hand regarding the reorganization of the General Film Co. Most of the documents relate to the distribution of motion pictures in the United States and Canada. A few concern censorship and film criticism.