[The following note describes a series of company records and has no images attached to it. To view the images in the records described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
The National Phonograph Co. was organized in New Jersey on January 25, 1896. It was the Edison-controlled successor to the North American Phonograph Co. At the first meeting of the board of directors on January 28, 1896, the company purchased Edison's claims against the North American Phonograph Co. The founding directors resigned, and three Edison associates were elected in their place: Walter S. Mallory, John F. Randolph, and William E. Gilmore. Mallory was also elected president, while Randolph was chosen to be secretary and treasurer. Gilmore became general manager; in June 1899 he succeeded Mallory as president. Within six months after the formation of the company, its profits were assigned to Edison in exchange for his technical improvements to the phonograph. In 1911 the National Phonograph Co. merged with several other Edison companies to become Thomas A. Edison, Inc. The records cover the period 1896-1911 and include minutes, correspondence, and financial materials. A finding aid is available at the Edison National Historical Park.
The minute book, along with financial documents for the period 1896-1898, have been selected. Related company correspondence can be found in the Document File. Among the items not selected is a cash book for the period 1896-1898. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.