This folder contains correspondence and an agreement relating to the business of the American Telegraph Works (ATW). This company was formed in Newark, New Jersey, on October 1, 1870, to manufacture telegraph instruments. It had ceased operation by the beginning of January 1873. The correspondents include George Harrington, a former assistant secretary of the treasury, who was Edison's partner in ATW, and Spencer M.
Clark, who replaced Henry W. Towne as general manager of ATW in 1871.
All of the documents have been selected except for a few letters unrelated to Edison. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.