This folder contains correspondence and other documents relating to the business of the Edison Electric Light Co. This company was established in late 1878 to provide Edison with funds for his experiments in electric lighting, in return for control of any patents that he might receive in this field. The correspondents include businesmen and investors Tracy R. Edson and Hamilton McK. Twombly. In addition, there are numerous letters and telegrams to and from Grosvenor P. Lowrey of the law firm Porter, Lowrey, Soren and Stone, who was instrumental in the negotiations with the principal Western Union stockholders that led to the formation of the Edison Electric Light Co., as well as in negotiating with Drexel, Morgan & Co. for foreign patent rights for the light. Also included are the articles of incorporation of the Edison Electric Light Co.
All of the documents have been selected except for duplicate copies of correspondence. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.