This folder contains correspondence and other documents relating to the Port Huron Railway Co. (successor to the Port Huron & Gratiot Street Railway Co.) and the Sarnia Street Railway Co. The Port Huron & Gratiot Street Railway Co. was founded in 1866 by William Pitt Edison and others to connect the Grand Trunk Railway depot in Fort Gratiot, Michigan, to the nearby town of Port Huron. In 1877 it merged with the rival City Railroad Co. to become the Port Huron Railway Co. The Sarnia Street Railway Co. was incorporated in Canada in 1874 to connect the town of Sarnia, Ontario, with the Grand Trunk Railway depot in Point Edward, Ontario, across the St. Clair River from Fort Gratiot. The correspondents include Edison's older brother William Pitt Edison, who served as superintendent of the Port Huron company and secretary of the Sarnia company; George P. Voorheis, secretary of the Port Huron company; and attorney Frank Whipple. In addition to the correspondence, there are monthly financial statements for the Port Huron Railway Co. for August-December 1878.
All of the documents have been selected. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.