This folder contains correspondence, agreements, and other documents relating to the operation of the Edison Electric Illuminating Co. of New York. Formed in December 1880 to build generating stations in New York City, the company constructed the Pearl Street central station, which began operation on September 4, 1882. Included is an agreement with the Edison Electric Light Co. and a draft of an ordinance allowing the company to lay underground conductors in New York City. There is also a prospectus for the United States Underground Cable Co.
Approximately 80 percent of the documents have been selected. The following categories of documents have not been selected: routine notices for meetings of the board of directors; duplicate copies of correspondence. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.