This folder contains correspondence, reports, and other documents relating to the construction and operation of the Lawrence central station, which opened on October 20, 1883. Much of the correspondence is by Edison employees William S. Andrews, W. D. Rich, and H. Ward Leonard; and by officers of the Edison Electric Illuminating Co. of Lawrence, including F. E. Clarke, president, and E. H. Lord, treasurer. Some of the documents by Andrews are partially illegible due to water damage. Some of Rich's correspondence may be difficult to read because of smeared ink.
Approximately 90 percent of the documents have been selected. The following categories of documents have not been selected: routine correspondence regarding orders and employee expenses. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.