This folder contains correspondence relating to the business of Bergmann & Co. The company manufactured electric lighting fixtures, sockets, and other devices used with the Edison system of electric lighting, as well as equipment for the Edison phonoplex system of telegraphy. Some of the letters pertain to tests conducted for the company by the West Orange laboratory. There are also letters regarding a phonoplex exhibit at the annual meeting of the Association of American Railway Telegraph Superintendents. Most of the correspondence is by Joseph Hutchinson, secretary of the company. On August 1, 1890 the company became part of the Edison General Electric Co.
Approximately 10 percent of the documents have been selected. The following categories of documents have not been selected: meeting announcements; routine correspondence regarding orders, supplies, and tests.
Related material can be found in D-90-33 (Electric Light - Edison General Electric Co. - General). Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.