This folder contains correspondence relating to the business of the Edison Electric Light Co. The letters are by Frank S. Hastings, secretary and treasurer, and relate to a proposed sub-station in Newport, Rhode Island, and to possible competition from the Westinghouse Electric Co. On August 1, 1890, this company became part of the Edison General Electric Co. Some of the material may be partially illegible due to water damage and faded ink.
Approximately 20 percent of the documents have been selected. The following categories of documents have not been selected: letters of transmittal and acknowledgement; meeting announcements; routine letters requesting Edison photographs for Carl Schurz, who served on the company's board of directors; other routine business correspondence. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.