This folder contains correspondence and other documents pertaining to the supervisory duties of Miller Reese Hutchison, who became chief engineer of the West Orange laboratory in August 1912. The documents are mainly Hutchison's carbon copies of his communications to Edison and others, although there are also a few original letters bearing Edison's marginalia. In addition to communications concerning administrative procedures and record keeping, there are items relating to changes in the physical plant, such as the construction of a windowless, concrete structure alongside the galvanometer room and the proposed addition of "a ladies room in the laboratory" for the convenience of women employees and guests. Also included are a memoranda and drawing regarding the proposed allocation of work and storage space on the third floor of the laboratory.
All of the documents have been selected. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.