This folder contains correspondence and other documents relating to operations at the West Orange laboratory. Among the items for 1916 are documents pertaining to the installation of an illuminated American flag by Valentine Electric Sign Co. of Atlantic City, N.J.; the organization of a militia unit at the laboratory; the paving of Valley Road in front of the laboratory; the rearrangement of the experimental and music rooms on third floor of the main building; and the disposition of scrap and surplus platinum. There are also a few items concerning chemical experiments. Although the laboratory's day-to-day operations were handled primarily by Charles Edison and assistant chief engineer John P. Constable, there are some documents, such as a memorandum about purchasing window screens for the library, that bear marginal notations by Edison.
Approximately 20 percent of the documents have been selected. The unselected material includes routine orders and payments for equipment, supplies, and fixtures; expense sheets and other accounting documents; routine administrative documents handled by secretaries; and items relating to building improvements and inspections. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.