These six letterbooks cover the period July 1884-January 1886. They contain routine correspondence concerning the operations of the Edison Shafting Manufacturing Co. This company was established in 1884 to manufacture and sell shafting, pulleys, and belting for use in electric lighting plants. In 1886 the Shafting Co. became part of the Edison Machine Works. Most of the correspondence is by H. M. Livor, general manager, and relates to orders, sales, and finances.