This letterbook covers the period December 1889-July 1890. Most of the correspondence is by Alfred O. Tate. The letters are addressed primarily to James W. Gladstone and James F. Kelly. There are also letters to officials at numerous telegraph, railroad, and phonograph companies. Most of the correspondence relates to the marketing of the Edison-Lalande primary battery for use with the telegraph and telephone. The letters deal with the price, technical properties, and performance advantages of the battery. Also included are documents pertaining to design defects, customer relations, and the suggested arrangement of wires and batteries. Some letters concern the use of the battery with the telephone, the phonoplex, and electric lighting. Other subjects include contractual obligations to Felix Lalande and the marketing strategies of the North American Phonograph Co. and its affiliates. A few items deal with the alphabetic symbols used to identify Edison-Lalande cells of various amperes and applications. On page 174 is a "List of Phonograph Companies in the United States" containing the names and headquarters of twenty-five regional sales companies. There is also a letter pertaining to Edison's contribution to the Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church in East Orange. The front cover is marked "Edison Mfg Co 1890." The book contains 508 numbered pages followed by 2 unnumbered pages. There is a partial index. Approximately 30 percent of the book has been selected. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.