[The following note describes a series of volumes and folders and has no documents attached to it. For that reason, a "no Documents found" message will appear if the "List Documents" button at the bottom of the note is used. To see the documents in the volumes and folders described here, use the "Which Series Notes?" button to enter the Series Notes or use the "Next Text" button to move to the first item in the series.]
These records, which cover the period 1882-1884, were generated or used by the Thomas A. Edison Construction Dept. Edison founded this company in 1883 for the purpose of constructing direct-current electric power stations in towns and cities throughout the United States. It was the only electric light company that Edison managed directly. The company operated from May 1883 until August 1884, building thirteen central stations in Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. In September 1884 the Construction Dept. merged with the Edison Co. for Isolated Lighting, which assumed responsibility for the construction of all central stations in the United States.