This folder contains correspondence and other documents relating to the business of the Automatic Telegraph Co. This company was incorporated in New York on November 28, 1870, to exploit the automatic telegraph patents of George Little. Edison became its principal inventor and developed his own automatic telegraph system that was used commercially by the company beginning in December 1872. Among the correspondents for 1874 are George Harrington, president of the Automatic Telegraph Co., and Edward H. Johnson, superintendent. Also included are promissory notes and protests, receipts, and telegrams from the Automatic Telegraph Co. to Edison and Charles Batchelor ordering materials and repairs.
All of the documents have been selected. The telegrams appear together at the end of the folder, following the other documents. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.