This folder contains correspondence, agreements, and other documents relating to the business of the Edison Machine Works in New York City, which manufactured dynamos and large electric motors for the Edison electric light system. Among the correspondents are Edison's associates, Charles Batchelor, John Kruesi, and John C. Tomlinson.
In January 1886 the company took over the functions of the Electric Tube Co. and also assumed control of the Edison Shafting Manufacturing Co., which became a department within the Edison Machine Works. In December the company moved to Schenectady, New York.
Approximately 50 percent of the documents have been selected. The following categories of documents have not been selected: routine correspondence with suppliers; bills and receipts; duplicate copies of selected documents. Courtesy of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.