[This folder is currently being edited. A "no Documents found" message will appear if the "List Documents" button is clicked.]
This 104-page pamphlet is the official report of the Committee appointed by the American Concrete Institute (ACI) to investigate the fire that destroyed or damaged more than half of the buildings in the West Orange laboratory complex on December 9, 1914. It is a reprint of the report that originally appeared in the Journal of the American Concrete Institute, Vol. III, No. 8 (August 1915). The report, which is signed by Chairman Cass Gilbert, Secretary E. J. Moore, and six other ACI members, concludes that "considering the extraordinary conditions surrounding this fire, the behavior of the concrete buildings was highly satisfactory and constitutes an excellent demonstration of the merits of concrete as a fire-resisting material." Included are numerous photographs of the exterior and interior of the laboratory buildings during and after the fire.
Following the report, which ends on page 63, are comments and discussion involving numerous concrete experts, including Rudolph James Wig of the U.S. Bureau of Standards; construction engineer Theodore Lincoln Condron, whom Edison hired to make plans for repairing the reinforced concrete buildings; civil engineer Nathan Clarke Johnson; architect Emile George Perrot; Edward Dayton Boyer of the Atlas Portland Cement Co.; municipal engineer Arthur Newell Talbot; and ACI president, Richard Lewis Humphrey. Courtesy of Daniel M. Del Bagno. After the images were scanned, this pamphlet was donated to the Thomas Edison National Historical Park, West Orange, N.J.