A picture of the staff in the Menlo Park lab.
This picture, dated February 22, 1880, shows the laboratory on the second floor. Left to right, the men in the picture are Ludwig Boehm, Charles L. Clarke, Charles Batchelor (seated beneath the hanging lamps),
William Carman, Samuel Mott, George Dean, Edison (below the tallest organ pipe), Charles Hughes, George Hill, George Carman,
Francis Jehl, John Lawson, Charles Flammer, Charles Mott, and James MacKenzie (at the
desk near the window). Notice the incandescent lamps in the gas fixtures. The organ in back
was a gift from Hilborne Roosevelt, an early investor in the phonograph.