This company was the successor to the firm of S. Bergmann, which had been established in the mid-1870s to manufacture electrical equipment. The new company was organized in April 1881 as a partnership between Sigmund Bergmann and Edward H. Johnson. It manufactured electric lighting fixtures, sockets, and other devices used with the Edison system of electric lighting. Edison joined the partnership in September 1882. The company merged with several other Edison companies in 1889 to become the Edison General Electric Company.
Edison Company for Isolated Lighting
This company originated as the Bureau of Isolated Lighting of the Edison Electric Light Company. It began operating as a separate company in November 1881. The company sold small generating plants for the lighting of individual homes, factories, and businesses. It was absorbed by the Edison Electric Light Company on December 31, 1886.
Edison Electric Illuminating Company of New York
This company was organized on December 17, 1880, to construct generating stations in New York City. Its first central station, located on Pearl Street in lower Manhattan, opened on September 4, 1882. The company was the prototype for other local illuminating companies that were established in the United States during the 1880s. . In 1901 it consolidated with the New York Gas & Electric Light, Heat & Power Company to become the New York Edison Company. In 1936 the name of the company was changed to Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc.
Edison Electric Light Company
This company was incorporated in New York on November 15, 1878. It provided financial support for Edison's electric light experiments in return for control of the resulting patents. The company merged with several other Edison companies in 1889 to become the Edison General Electric Company.