This company was organized on December 17, 1880, to construct generating stations in New York City. Its first central station, located on Pearl Street in lower Manhattan, opened on September 4, 1882. The company was the prototype for other local illuminating companies that were established in the United States during the 1880s. . In 1901 it consolidated with the New York Gas & Electric Light, Heat & Power Company to become the New York Edison Company. In 1936 the name of the company was changed to Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc.