This company was organized on December 9, 1879, to extract iron, gold, and other metals from ores. From September 1881 until January 1883 it operated a plant at Quonocontaug, Rhode Island. After its reorganization in 1887, it provided financial support for Edison's ore separation and concentration experiments in return for control of his related patents. The company was officially dissolved on April 2, 1924.