Motion Picture Patents Company
This company was incorporated in New Jersey on September 9, 1908, by the Edison Manufacturing Company and the American Mutoscope & Biograph Company. It pooled the requisite and previously competing patents and licensing arrangements in the manufacture and projection of motion pictures. An antitrust suit filed by the federal government on August 15, 1912, resulted in rulings against the company on October 1, 1915, and January 24, 1916. The company was sold on July 31, 1918, but it maintained a legal existence until its charter was forfeited on January 28, 1928.