This company was incorporated in New York on April 2, 1874 to exploit Edison's domestic (district) telegraph system as well as his fire and burglar alarm inventions. The company was acquired by Atlantic and Pacific Telegraph in 1876.
This company was formed in Newark, New Jersey, sometime between July and October 1873 as a manufacturing partnership between Edison and Joseph Murray by consolidating their former shop known as Murray and Company into the larger Ward Street shop that had been occupied by Edison and Unger, which dissolved in July 1873. Edison and Murray dissolved their partnership on July 13, 1875, although they had agreed to the dissolution in mid-May when Edison took part of the Ward Street shop as his laboratory. Murray continued to manufacture electrical and telegraph instruments and later telephones at the shop.
In May 1871 the Newark Telegraph Works moved to new and larger quarters on Ward Street in Newark, New Jersey, and changed its name to Edison and Unger. Edison and William Unger dissolved their manufacturing partnership on 1 July 1873 and the shop was taken over by Edison and Murray.
This unincorporated business was established to market Edison's phonoplex to railroad and telegraph systems in the United States and Canada. This system, which he developed in 1885-86, was an induction telegraph system that used a telephone as a receiver and permitted communication between way stations.