From Menlo Park to West Orange

The Lamp Factory Laboratory

LampnewarkIn conjunction with his marriage and taking up permanent residence at Glenmont, Edison, in the summer of 1886, moved his primary laboratory from Bergmann's in New York City to the Edison Lamp Factory in Harrison. In June, he had been splitting his time between Bergmann's and the Lamp Factory, but by July, as more of his attention began to focus on experiments to improve the efficiency of the incandescent lamp, he was spending nearly every day at the lab in Harrison. As it turned out, though, the move to the Lamp Factory was only a temporary expedient. Read more on the lamp factory.